I love the last page of style magazine par excellence Harpers Bazaar. The page where each month a stylish fashionista (think Victoria Beckham, Manolo Blahnik, Chrissie Hynde, and, this month, my favourite 60’s icon Marianne Faithfull) gives a list of suggestions for stylish things to do during the new month under the title ‘Why Don’t you…’ I’ve decided launch my own suggestions for why don’t you each month. Enjoy, and if you have anything else to suggest, leave a comment and add it to the site.
WHY DON’T YOU…
- Enjoy a night out for charity. It is Vogue‘s ‘BIG NIGHT OUT’ tonight all over London. Fashionista’s everywhere will be putting on their glad rags and snapping up fashion bargains to raise money for good causes. Alternatively, if you are in the Midlands tonight, why not attend the ‘Sex and the City‘ evening of High fashion in aid of the Newlife Foundation for disabled children. This is taking place in the ‘Bank bar and lounge’ in Cannock from 7pm. Enjoy half price cocktails and buy guilt free jewellery, clothes and accessories on the night. You can then go home and tell Hubby that it was all for a good cause. Well, that’s what I’m going to do anyway!
- Have a great outdoors style Saturday night, if you are in London, Swansea, or Glasgow you could enjoy the fabulous Proms in the Park and enjoy the range of rainwear and wellies on show. In Birmingham it is the weekend of ‘Artsfest, which is all totally free and includes Kerrangfest with The Twang, and stars of the Birmingham Royal Ballet. If you are attend ‘Proms in the Park’ check out Evans(www.evans.co.uk) fab range of wellies which come in E nad EEE fittings, and don’t forget to add a bit of vintage sparkle to so British an event.
- Catch the Grace Kelly Style exhibition at the V&A before it finishes and see why this lady is still a fashion muse almost 30 years after her death. Until 26th September.
- Check out the charity shops in the lovely riverside town of Stourport on Severn. At a quick glance last Saturday evening I did a mental count of eight charity shops. Perfect for a Saturday afternoon rummage followed by a few drinks on the river.
- Sort out your wardrobe and ‘DONATE DON’T DUMP!’ Get rid of anything too big, too small, unworn, unloved and put a big smile on the face of Mary Portas. Charity shops are in dire need of new stock for the new season, do your bit.
- Try out the new Levi’s website for their ‘Curve ID’ jeans. It’s fabulous. You just answer some simple questions about your shape and , hey presto, they find your perfect jeans. I tried it and was shocked when I noticed that the plus size model/real person wearing my perfect jeans actually had my shape. Prices are not cheap, starting at around £80, so you may decide to save money and try New Look’s new range of YES YES jeans that come in all shapes and start at just £9.99.
- Pre-order your copy of Sex and the City 2 from Amazon.co.uk now. Ignore the critics, the girls looked fab, were older but not wiser and frankly I lived the chat between Miranda and Charlotte where Miranda said it was ok to love your kids but need to escape from them sometimes. Whilst waiting for the film to arrive, check out Amazon.co.uk ‘s Sex and the City store which stocks everything SATC related. And check out the Fab poster above, it made me laugh out loud as I don’t know a straight man ANYWHERE who ‘gets’ SATC.
- Finally check out a gorgeous new hair style icon in the unlikeliest of places. As you know I am a mom to Baba, aged 20 months, and watch a hell of a lot of CBEEBIES. I have lately found myself obsessed with an amazing glossy auburn mane of May, the park keeper on ‘Big City Park’. May, played by actress Sarah McCardie is a plus size girl(size 16 maybe?) with a beautiful face, a great line in plaid shirts and the most truly amazing hair. And with not a hair extension in sight. Check her out and I challenge you not to be jealous!
That’s it for September – but if you have a recommendation – pass it on in the comments box and I will add it to the site.
- Lane Bryant and Celebrities Support Two Fashionable Causes this September (prweb.com)
- Nicole Richie Does British ‘In Style’ Magazine (pinkisthenewblog.com)
- Leading Celebrity Fashion Website Is Coming to Birmingham to Find Stylish Locals (your-story.org)
- Lea Michele goes boho (stylebakery.com)
- TRESemmé Helps Women Step Out With Style (prweb.com)
- Perth Fashion Festival 2010 (kitta.net)