Is there a more iconic fabric or print than leopard? Every season, leopard print is on trend, whether it be in the form of warm coats and scarves in winter, or long maxi dresses and cute bikinis in warmer months. Leopard print accessories always look fabulous, and add sex appeal to any outfit, Leopard print is a true, timeless classic that has probably been de jour since we were living in caves and walking around in pelts. What makes it so timeless, and how can you ensure that you channel Kate Moss or Joan Crawford, rather than Bet Lynch, or, god bless her, Paris Hilton? It’s tricky. If you get it right it just screams movie star glamour. Get it wrong and it screams Rod Stewart!
Leopard print has an element of luxury to it, it often feels soft and cosy in winter, or silky and slinky in Summer. Designers like Dolce and Gabbana and Roberto Cavalli are synonymous with leopard prints, whilst Manolo Blahnik and Christian Louboutin have both produced stunning leopard print shoes. Actress Rachel Bilson showed how stylish leopard print could be in a Roberto Cavalli dress, whilst Paloma Faith added vampy red lips and shoes to her full length Dolce and Gabbana leopard print dress. Both looked stunning and stylish.
Leopard print has a very vintage feel to it, It was popular in the 1940’s and 1950’s, where it was the preserve of true movie stars like Joan Crawford and Marilyn Monroe. I remember a particular image of Marilyn with Joe DiMaggio, wearing a jaunty black suit with a leopard print scarf tied around her neck. She just looked so glamorous and stylish. Eartha Kitt was another sexy star who embraced the lure of the cat. and with her feline features she was total kittenish sex personified.
More recent star have been followers of the cat print. Kate Moss is probably the only person who could wear head to toe leopard print and still look stylish. She has long been a fan of the print, pulling a leopard print jacket from her wardrobe each year as the temperatures drop. Gwen Stefani is another glamour-puss (excuse the pun, I know its terrible but I couldn’t resist) who wears leopard print on a regular basis, often on the red carpet, and she has also made it an integral part of her LAMB collection. Other leopard fans include Sienna Miller, Kylie Minogue, Paloma Faith, Rachel Bilson, Pixie and Peaches Geldof, Nicky Hilton and Eva Mendes. The list is actually endless…
There are a few rules you need to follow if you decide that this is the year you embrace your inner cat. Follow these, and you will exude old school glamour all season long.
- Only Kate Moss can get away with head to toe leopard print. Choose one piece of clothing, or an accessory in leopard print. Rihanna shows how leopard print shoes look great with a plain outfit.
- Add bright red lips – too many nudes and you’ll start to look feral!
- Dress it down – sling your glamorous coat over your jeans a la Kate Moss and Sienna Miller.
- Wear it over tea dresses for a cute 1940’s feel, a la Paloma Faith.
- Don’t mix your cats – leopards and tigers may live together in the Serengeti, and even sit happily side by side in your wardrobe, but they should not be worn together under any circumstances! Imagine a cat fight – you’ve just become one!
WHAT TO BUY THIS SEASON/
Get to the Office Ebay shop – they have a fab range of leopard print shoes and boots. I love the shoe boots below, a bargain at just £32.50.
New look have the must have coat for budding Kate Moss’s out there.
And in Fashion-Mommy’s dream world – a stunning Mulberry Bayswater bag – a snip at £1,650! We can but dream…
This blog is dedicated to mommy Diane – the true queen of animal print!
- Cheapskate: Leopard-Print Shoes, Boots, And Bags For Less (thefrisky.com)
- How to Wear A Leopard Print Dress to Transition Into Fall (focusonstyle.com)
- Meow! Leopard Print For Fall (styleepiphany.com)
- 5 Ways To Wear Leopard Without Looking Like A Cats The Musical Cast Member (shefinds.com)
- Dolce & Gabbana Debuts Leopard-Print iPad Cases (stylelist.com)
- Frisky Feline Kicks – These Christian Louboutin Louis Leopard Stud Sneakers are Wildly Fierce (GALLERY) (trendhunter.com)
- 10 Hottest items this week (myfashionlife.com)
- Will the Leopard Print Craze Follow You into Your Home? (apartmenttherapy.com)
- Look for Less: Dolce & Gabbana Leopard Print Slipdress (thelingerieaddict.com)
- Giuseppe Zanotti Boots, Rawr! (beso.com)