Fashionistas need to put November 29th in their diaries right now. For on this day the legendary founder of THE 1960’s most iconic store launches her new collection…and you’ll find it in Asda! Barbara Hulanicki, the women behind Biba, is launching an ultra affordable range for supermarket giant Asda, and photographs appearing in this week’s Look magazine indicate that this range could be the Christmas sell out this season.
Barbara Launched Biba in 1964, and it soon become the most iconic shop in swinging London. Cathy McGowan, Julie Christie and Marianne Faithfull were amongst those who wore Biba. It was famous for the opulence of the store, and the affordability of the clothing. Biba has recently been relaunched by House of Fraser in a shock of leopard prints, velvets, and fur, with Daisy Lowe starring in the ad campaigns. This collection is stunning, but Barbara has expressed disappointment at the collection, which she feels are too expensive to be Biba. Biba was about bringing affordable fashion to the masses, the new collection at House of Fraser has many items that cost over £100.
However, the Asda collection for George has prices that start from £8. There are great animal print fabrics, floaty blouses, 60s style tunics and wide leg trousers. Although the collection lacks the opulent glamour of the House of Fraser collection, this is a genuine collection from the women who was Biba. It is cute and affordable. In Barbara’s own words, it is ‘urban, girlie and edgy. I have my eyes on a beautiful floaty purple, ruffle neck blouse, and an animal print tunic and scarf that costs just £8. The great news for curvy fashionista’s is that every style goes from a size 8 to size 20.
- Biba founder Barbara Hulanicki blasts House of Fraser’s relaunch of clothing line (telegraph.co.uk)
- You: House of Fraser ponders Biba stores (guardian.co.uk)
- Movie Review – Beyond Biba (coutureallure.blogspot.com)
- Fashion favourite: Daisy Lowe’s grungy glamour makes her a natural choice for the iconic fashion house Biba (independent.co.uk)
- More Rodarte Rumors, Biba Reborn, Janie Bryant Is Not Keeping Up With The Kardashians, And More… (style.com)
- Daisy Lowe is the new face of Biba (catwalkqueen.tv)
- Supermarkets: Aisle change (economist.com)