So Prince William has finally done it and popped the question to the lovely Kate Middleton, and Britain, and more specifically, the fashion world, is going to be blessed with a new Princess of style. Kate looked amazing in her tv interview announcing the official engagement. Her blue Issa dress was a nod to Princess Diana, who famously wore an off the peg blue suit when her engagement to Prince Charles was announced in February 1981. Kate’s blue dress was a perfect match to her sapphire and diamond engagement ring, touchingly the same ring that signified Charles and Diana‘s engagement.
Now that we know we have a royal wedding to look forward to, sometime in Spring or Summer 2011, the next exciting question concerns the royal wedding dress. Who will be the lucky designer tasked with making the most important dress of the millennium so far? Kate is known to be a fan of Issa, having worn Issa dresses on many previous occasions, so maybe Danniella Issa Helayel we be given the task of creating a wedding dress fit for a princess. Her styling seems to suit Kate, and she has worn Issa designs at the wedding of Prince William’s friend Harry Meade recently, as well as wearing a stunning Issa dress today, so the omens for Issa are good. I love the simplicity and elegance of this Issa design, but its backless design may be a little too showy for a future queen!
There is a strong possibility that the designer will be British. Kate, as future Queen, will be expected to support British designers by wearing their designs for key events and occasions. Here are some possible contenders.
Matthew Williamson has a stylish boho vibe running through his designs. Kate may decide to have a less traditional wedding dress to show she is a new style, independent Princess. This dress keeps the flesh on display to a minimum.
The grande dame of British Fashion. Vivienne Westwood designs are beautiful and dramatic (Just think Carrie’s dress in the SATC movie!). Maybe, throughly modern Kate will become a Princess whilst wearing a dress designed by fashion Royalty.
Alice Temperley is known for her beaded, beautiful creations, and is one of the best known British designers. I think this dress is just stunning and would be perfect for Kate. The beading and lace are simply stunning, yet the dress has a modern-day simplicity that could pull Royal wedding dresses into the 21st century.
Jenny Packham is the celebrity wedding dress designer extraordinaire. Her designs are worn by the likes of Mylene Klass and Jenny Frost. Perhaps she could add a Princess to her roster of famous names? The Saskia dress has a beautiful and romantic feel to it.
Kate may choose to have a dress designed by one of Princess Diana’s favourite designers, Bruce Oldfield or Jasper Conran. This Bruce dress is stunning. This Jasper Conran dress, from a 2009 collection, has a traditional and romantic feel to it. I’m think its lovely, although there is also a slight top of the Christmas tree look to it too. I do think it is very Princessy though.
Phillipa Lepley has already been tipped by ‘You and Your Wedding’ magazine to be the possible designer for Kate’s dress. I think her designs are very elegant, and would suit the demure Kate.
Kate Middleton may surprise everyone by choosing a relative unknown. The idea of Holly Fulton designing an art deco jewelled wedding dress is very exciting. Whatever the choice is, fashionistas across the globe will wait with bated breath to see it. It’s going to be a very exciting time to be in British fashion!
- Kate Middleton to wear ‘traditional wedding dress with a modern twist’ (mirror.co.uk)
- Classic and cool, the Kate Middleton style emerges (omg.yahoo.com)
- Prince William and Kate Middleton engagement celebrated with racehorse win (mirror.co.uk)
- 6 Things Prince William And Kate Middleton Shouldn’t Repeat From Diana And Charles’ Wedding (thefrisky.com)
- The Kate Middleton Primer: 7 Things You Need to Know (abcnews.go.com)
- Kate Middleton Engagement Ring Once Belonged To Princess Diana (popcrunch.com)
- Classic and cool, the Kate Middleton style emerges (foxnews.com)
- Classic and cool, the Kate Middleton style emerges (sfgate.com)
- Kate Middleton Wedding Dress: What Will She Wear? (PREDICT) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Classic and cool, the Kate Middleton style emerges (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Engaged William and Kate Make Public Debut (cbsnews.com)
- Prince William and Kate Middleton to marry on August 13 say bookies (mirror.co.uk)
- Prince William to marry Kate Middleton next year (bridalwave.tv)
- Prince William Engagement to Kate Middleton: 2011 Wedding (nowpublic.com)
- Kate Middleton’s Family “Thrilled” Over Engagement (omg.yahoo.com)
- Prince William to marry Kate Middleton next year (newsinfo.inquirer.net)