The press got their first view of the Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding dress today when the Sarah Burton design went on display in the Ballroom of Buckingham Palace, but although the beauty of the dress and the rest of display pleased most spectators, it seems the Queen wasn’t particularly pleased, calling the staging of the dress ‘Horrid’ .
The dress has been displayed on a headless mannequin, with the veil and Halo tiara sort of suspended in space, which the Queen expressed as being creepy! Kate, who was viewing the dress with the Queen was more tactful, saying it was displayed to show a 3D effect.
Kate looked fabulous in another white dress, whilst the Queen wore a pretty watered silk dress. I was struck that in this picture the Duchess seems to be morphing into Katie Holmes, or maybe it is the other way around.
This is a great opportunity to see the beautiful dress up close, although some commentators have said the white dummy makes it harder to see all the detailing on the neckline. Personally, I think a Tussaud’s style mannequin may have been more to people’s taste, but then that might have been considered a little bit cheesy! I’ll get my own chance to make up my mind about the display next Friday. I’m counting down the days!
- Duchess of Cambridge’s dress goes on display (independent.co.uk)
- Kate’s wedding dress – the countdown is almost over. (fashion-mommy.com)
- Video: Kate Middleton’s ‘made in Manchester’ wedding dress goes on display at Palace (menmedia.co.uk)
- Kate Middleton wedding dress exhibition launches today (stylistatlarge.wordpress.com)
- Kate Middleton’s wedding dress and cake unveiled at Buckingham Palace (mirror.co.uk)
- The Kate dresses (fashion-mommy.com)
- April Style Icon of the Month – Kate Middleton (fashion-mommy.com)