The annual Vanity Fair best dressed list has been published, and our own style duchess has made this years list. The Duchess of Cambridge sits alongside Michelle Obama, Carla Sarkozy Bruni and Princess Charlene of Monaco on this years list, and is praised for her “whirlwind year of fashion successes”. But some detractors are already saying she shouldn’t be on the list, with one Twitter comment saying ‘Kate Middleton makes best-dressed list – why? So here are the reasons I think it is absolutely right that she should be there.
1. Everything she wears turns into fashion gold. From the Reiss dress she wore to meet Michelle Obama, that crashed their website and is now selling on Ebay from £600 upwards, to the Burberry mackintosh that sparked a Burberry frenzy, everything that Kate wears has instant sell out written all over it. Even of people can’t get the real thing, the copies will prove to be just as popular, as Peacocks and Tesco found when they launched their sell out versions of the Issa engagement dress.
2. She’s bringing back ladylike elegance. Kate always looks immaculately groomed, wearing elegant dresses, nude heels and carrying neat and dainty hand and clutch bags. She’s not quite got us wearing white gloves yet, but nude panty-hose has definitely made a re-appearance. It seems we relish this grown-up look after the barely dressed antics of Gaga and Rihanna, it makes a change to dress like a lady.
3. Recycle, recycle. recycle. Kate has made it cool to dig deep into your wardrobe and wear clothing you thought you’d never wear again. From family weddings to Royal tours, Kate will recycle outfits by adding a different hat, or wearing her beautiful hair in a different style. In the recession hit UK – this is striking the right chord.
4. She makes the High Street not only acceptable, but desirable. Zara, Whistles,LK Bennett, Reiss, Hobbs, Kurt Geiger – all these stores have benefitted from the Kate effect. Kate doesn’t keep these brands for her off-duty looks, she will wear them for important royal occasions too.
5. That dress. Kate could be top of that list for the beautiful Sarah Burton dress alone. The royal wedding dress is already iconic, an exquisite creation that was a feat of design. Kate was pitch perfect on the day, and was universally applauded for her choice of dress. Enough to stick her to the top of any list.
And if all this wasn’t wnough, just look how cute she looked with William in Holyrood,in their matching outfits. Simply adorable!
- Kate Middleton Makes Vanity Fair’s Best-Dressed List – Well-Deserved or Premature? (popsugar.com)
- Kate named to Vanity Fair’s best-dressed list (theglobeandmail.com)
- Vanity Fair’s ‘Best-Dressed’: More proof that Kate Middleton wins at everything (popwatch.ew.com)
- Kate Middleton repeats on Vanity Fair fashion list (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- VF Best-Dressed List: Kate Middleton Leads the Fashion Pack – but Lady Gaga? Really? (eonline.com)