I have always admired Lady Gaga has an icon of style. But rather like the way you admire Erno Goldfinger‘s tower blocks, but wouldn’t want to live in them, I admired Gaga’s crazy meat dresses, sequined lobster hats and crazy shoes, but could never see anyone else wearing them. But this is the month when I’ve had to say – Gaga – you look great, and I would definitely wear that dress!
This seems to be the month when Gaga has grown into a beautiful lady, and it seems to be with some thanks to Donatella Versace. Donatella gave Gaga access to the Versace archives earlier this Summer. At first this led to a series of those early 1990s garish coloured silk blouses and skirts, but lately Gaga has opted for a series of shift dresses with pencil straight skirts, one shouldered evening dresses and block colour gowns that just seem to enhance her looks and her figure. She is making a fashion impression without causing style controversy – and I, for one, really like it.
There have been a few dissenters about the Lady’s new look – is Gaga morphing into Donatella? Isn’t this a bit conservative for Gaga – is this better suited to the kooky – but not too Kooky Gwen Stefani. My answer would be an emphatic no! Gaga has looked great this month, and the blue suit – blue tights-nipple patch combo proves she’s not going to be buying a twinset and pearls anytime soon. But it has been lovely to see the Lady wearing something that makes her look like a Lady, rather than some mad invention!
- Lady Gaga VMAs 2011: Jo Calderone Accepts Award (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Lady Gaga Performs ‘You and I’ in Drag at the MTV VMAs (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Poll Of The Day: Is Lady Gaga Done? (q104.radio.com)
- Lady Gaga As Jo Calderone: 2011 MTV Video Music Awards (socialitelife.com)
- Lady Gaga scares Britney and Bieber with her manly act at the MTV VMAs (entertainment.msn.co.nz)