RIP Anita Pallenberg

June 18th, 2017

This week saw the death of the ultimate rock chick. Anita Pallenberg, famously the lover of both Brian Jones and Keith Richard (and possibly Mick Jagger) died at the relatively early age of 73. But boy, had she packed some life into those 73 years, both as a model, an actress and a fashion muse whose style we see every festival season.

Anita was a German born model who took Swinging London by storm in the mid 60s. Her relationship with Brian Jones was turbulent and violent, but she also introduced him to culture and the arts, but after a particularly bad night which saw Brian beat Anita, she fled with Keith Richard, starting a relationship which lasted 12 years.  She starred in the film Barberella with Jane Fonda, and also Performance, where she allegedly had sex with Jagger on Camera in front of both Richard and Marianne Faithful – her close friend and the girlfriend of Jagger.

Anita was considered wild and dangerous – did she really practice black magic arts? She certainly did enough drugs to kill a normal person, and eventually it was the drugs that killed her relationship with Keith, especially when a teenage boy died in her hotel room. The 1980s were not a good time for the one time rock goddess, but she emerged in later years to continue her role as a fashion and acting muse.

Anita was beautiful, stylish and exuded cool in her rock chick style. Acres of scarves, mannish waitcoats, drainpipe jeans, furry gillets, floppy, foppish hats, gold lame worn in a slightly decadent and dishevelled style, Anita carried it all off with aplomb. She inspired her friend Marianne to cast off her slightly twee look, and between them they become the cool face of London, not dolly birds, but true fashion inspirations that we still look too 50 years on. It was boho, it was luxe, it was rock and roll. It cemented her place as a icon of fashion and music.

RIP Anita, the World will be a duller place without your sparkle.

More Anita Style

22 Responses to “RIP Anita Pallenberg”

1. Sarah Bailey says:

Aww what a shame 73 isn’t that old these days 🙁 sounds like she really lived her life to the full though.

2. I honestly had never heard of Anita Pallenberg before. I like the music of these bands but do not really follow their personal lives.

3. PIGGLE says:

Fashion style icon. Amazing rock chic!!!!!!

4. Akamatra says:

I hadn’t heard of her passing. Truly rocking chic!!!

5. Ashvin says:

She is a true fashion idol and not the ones we have now! Her style was always perfect!

6. Wow. I never really knew about Anita. Thanks for sharing her life. What an exciting life she lived.

7. She was definitely a rock chic icon. It’s too bad that she passed away.

8. Chemady says:

I just read about her demise through this post. RIP Anita.

9. Anosa says:

I hadn’t heard that she had passed away, such a shame and that is still so young! I guess it was the drugs catching up to her after all those years. She looks so glamerous in the photos

10. Jessica says:

Anita was beautiful! So sorry to hear of her passing. Whenever someone famous dies, it definitely hits hard for fans. May she rest in peace!

11. RIP Anita Pallenberg! I don’t know much about her but she seems to be a famous personality and quite hard for fans to take the demise.

12. sondra says:

It’s always so sad when an icon passes away. She definitely made a difference though and will be remembered.

13. Tori says:

I hadn’t heard of Anita Pallenberg but I love her outfits in the photos you posted. The sandals she has on in the photo of her carrying are pretty timeless with the cut of the skirt she has on.

14. Amanda Love says:

I am not that familiar with her life story. It seems like she lived the life that she wanted and didn’t hold back. May she rest in peace.

15. Elizabeth says:

I confess I have never heard of this woman before, but it sounds like she had a rather colourful life! May she rest in peace.

16. Nancy says:

Looks like Anita really lived a full and adventurous life. As you so well put it “she packed some life into those 73 years” The photos have such a vibrant energy.

17. She was definitely beautiful. I can see why she would have been such an icon. It’s so sad that the drugs got in the way of everything.

18. Elizabeth O says:

I remember her well. She was stylish and cutting edge, years before others stepped up to the plate. May she rest in peace.

19. bronze says:

she fucked all the group members.

20. lex says:

sure a classy lady she is, and may she rest in peace with her maker. painful when the world looses special people.

21. Rain says:

wow! did not know she had passed away. She definitely lived the rock star lifestyle. What a time to be alive. I don’t think that kind of glamour is possible now especially with social media and how judgemental people are.

RSS feed for comments on this post. And trackBack URL.