October has been another wonderful month for fashion. We’ve seen the return of the X Factor, bringing high fashion and couture into our homes every Saturday night. The curves debate had continued, with Look magazine at the forefront of embracing real models, using Crystal Renn has their lead model in the High Street fashion show, whilst Jean Paul Gaultier had Beth Ditto both opening and closing his Paris shows with a glass of champagne in her hand. Jimmy Choo‘s Tamara Mellon was awarded an OBE for services to fashion. Here’s a round up of all that Fashion-Mommy loved this month.
There have been some super stylish fashion moments this month, and non more so than on the X Factor. Saturday and Sunday nights must watch programme has debates raging about who wears it best, and to my money, Danni Minogue just edges Cheryl Cole in the judges fash-off. Cheryl has been accused of being ‘tangoed’ due to her slightly orange appearance, and I was frankly not impressed with her ‘Beryl the Peril‘ tights during her live performance. Danni, on the other hand, has not put a foot wrong, especially in her choice of Victoria Beckham dresses. She wins the title of yummiest mummy on the box in Fashion-Mommy’s eyes.
What has been even more fascinating about this X Factor has been the emergence of Rebecca Ferguson as a real fashionista. Danni described her as her ‘style crush’, and with her Jessica Rabbit looks and long, elegant dresses, she has definitely been one to watch. I loved her Mango dress in the first live programme. I have also been impressed by the transformation of Mary Byrne from Tesco checkout to glamorous diva. She is a true inspiration to curvy 50 somethings everywhere, with her elegant outfits and high gloss appearance.
As a fan of all things Kate Moss related, I was really excited by the news that she has possibly got married. But I must admit to be being a tad disappointed that no pictures of emerged of the new Mrs Hince in her allegedly see through wedding dress. No one wanted Kate to do a 10 page spread with OK magazine, but this is the wedding dress that most of us would kill to see. Still, you have to admit her new fringe looks fab!
There have been other fashion looks to admire this month. I always admire the style of Eva Mendes, and love that she rocks the 50’s look with such panache. Sarah Jessica Parker is another fashion icon who rarely puts a foot wrong. She looks so beautiful here in caramel shades at a New York Ballet Gala.
David Koma got mixed a press reception for his Hubcap style dress as worn by Cheryl Cole in the last series of X Factor. However, he is a truly promising designer, as was shown when Kylie Minogue wore one of his designs whilst promoting her ‘Aphrodite’ album. She looked totally gorgeous, and age-defying!
Kimberley Walsh is the curviest, and some (my future brother-in-law for one!) claim that she is the true beauty of Girls Aloud. As well as launching her own jewellery collection this month, she looked stunning whilst supporting Cheryl Cole at her own jewellery launch.
Fashion-Mommy loved all the great mid-season sales that have been taking place throughout October. This was the ideal opportunity to pick up a few Christmas presents, or just to give yourself a guilt free treat mid month. I picked up this amazing peach vintage looking dress from River Island for just £20, and have already worn it twice, so it is double the bargain.
Debenhams was selling Henry Holland book bags for just £3. They would make an absolutely fab eco shopper, or a school bag for a fashion conscious teenager. Primark also has a cute range of eco shoppers with a pretty bag graphic on the front.
Christmas has hit the shops this month, and as someone who really wishes it could be Christmas every day, I have been really excited. I found these true fashionista Christmas cards this year, and think I will have to buy them for all my fashion friends. They are from BHS and cost just £3.50 at the moment.
Fashion-Mommy has also found some great vintage finds in charity shops this month. These included a pretty 1950’s dot dress for £3.99 from Age Uk, and an amazing pair of Charles Jourdan brown suede heels and a cream Jackie Kennedy style bag from a new discovery – The St Katherine’s house The Big Shop. This is another amazing charity store where you can find amazing bargains. My Charles Jourdan heels were just £7.50!
Fashion Mommy loved the Vanity Fair feature that paid tribute to Funny Face. This used the stunningly beautiful young actress Kaya Scodelario, who you may remember as the stunning but strange Effie from the cult series Skins. She made an amazing Audrey Hepburn in a stunning photo feature that celebrated the greatest fashion movie ever.
My top read this month was definitely ‘Luella’s guide to English Style’. Although I don’t agree with all the choices of top English birds (Kate Moss only a runner-up?, Princess Anne beating Princess Margaret to appear in the top ten?) I just love the book, especially the illustrated book plates. The book sort of resembles an old tome you have dusted off in a long forgotten library, and is quirky, funny and irreverent a bit like Luella herself!
- Video: Crystal Renn Models Swimsuits For Gottex Show (shoppingblog.com)
- My Plus Sized Open Letter to Target (thecurvyfashionista.mariedenee.com)
- Crystal Renn Walks In Z Spoke By Zac Posen Spring 2011 Show (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- How to Be Fashionable and Sustainable (fairtradeconference.com)
- Letter From Paris presents…Paris Fashion Report (betharnold.com)
- Crystal Renn Dons The Hottest Garb Of The Season (PHOTOS, POLL) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Crystal Renn Explains Weight Loss (thefrisky.com)
- Crystal Renn’s Face – Not Body – Stars In New Chanel Campaign (thefrisky.com)
- Kate Moss Said To Be Investigating Career As An Innkeeper [Rag Trade] (jezebel.com)
- Plus size news roundup 10/3/2010 (fatchic.net)
- Tamara Mellon Selling Jimmy Choo? (stylelist.com)
- Is Tamara Mellon selling Jimmy Choo? (myfashionlife.com)
- Crystal Renn’s Tour De France: She Walks in Three Paris Fashion Shows (stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com)
- Fashion News – Week in Review: Jimmy Choo Uggs, Justin Bieber Nail Polish, Plus-Size Models, and More (stylelist.com)
- Paris Runways Finally See Some Model Diversity – But Is This “Shock” Casting? (thefrisky.com)
- Beth Ditto on Gaultier catwalk (mirror.co.uk)
- Beth Ditto Among the Plus-Size Models in Jean Paul Gaultier’s Spring Show (nymag.com)
- StyleCaster Launches First Cover Story for the Web Featuring Exclusive Fashion Editorial With Model Alexandra Richards (marketwire.com)
- Full-Figured Fashion Shows – Beth Ditto Struts Down the Stage for Jean Paul Gaultier (VIDEO) (trendhunter.com)
- Beth Ditto Walks Jean Paul Gaultier Runway (stylelist.com)
- Cheryl Cole’s favourite designers are the real winners of X Factor (guardian.co.uk)
- Cheryl Cole comes face to face with her waxwork (newslite.tv)
- Victoria Beckham fashion firm refuses to help Cheryl Cole (mirror.co.uk)
- Cheryl Cole in Kristian Aadnevik (fashion.telegraph.co.uk)
- “X Factor Fashion: Cheryl Cole wears Daniel Vosovic â€” Dannii Minogue wears Jâ€™Aton Couture” and related posts (unrealitytv.co.uk)