Well, Christmas is well and truly over, with the Mulled wine and mince pies just a distant memory, and January is renowned as a depressing month, supposedly containing the most depressing day of the year. (I believe it January 24th, fact fans!). But fear not, Fashion-Mommy is on hand with a list of suggestions that will brighten up your month. Follow these suggestions, and you will enjoy a fabulously stylish month!
- Enjoy a fashion film screening at the V&A. The Victoria and Albert Museum are showing special screenings of Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky on Friday 7th December at 7pm, and the Anna Wintour fest ‘The September Issue‘ on January 21st January at 7pm. Tickets cost just £4.
- As we enter a new decade you can discover a new style decade in a fab vintage store. I love ‘Vintage Chic’ in Cannock(www.vintagechiccannock.co.uk), which stocks a great range of vintage and designer labels. Most towns have a fab vintage store just waiting to be discovered, or you can shop online as many stores are now selling items on the net.
- Treat someone special, whilst aiding a good cause. New Look’s new gift cards, which are being launched in mid January will match 2% of your initial upload and give that amount to the New Look foundation, which supports a whole host of charitable organisations, including those providing help to victims of domestic violence and gun and knife crime. This means you could treat a friend or loved one AND support a good cause. Oh…if you need any more reason to do this…the cards are sooo pretty!
- Go see the exhibition AWARE – Art, fashion, Identity at the Royal Academy of Arts. This will be on until 30th January.
- Check out the International/Contemporary Jewellery festival being held in Birmingham at the MAC until the 9th January. Known as ‘FLUX’, this showcases the work of a range of innovative local designers, including Fifi Bijoux and Sara Preisler.
- Celebrate the glamour and glitz of the awards season with a red carpet party. January sees the Golden Globes and The SAG awards. Grab a bottle of bubbly, don your best dress and have a few fashionista friends around to enjoy E Channels Live from the Red Carpet coverage as the best dressed stars and starlets arrive.
- Sort out your wardrobe. You probably had lots of new things for Christmas and your closet is now bulging excessively. So, it’s time to do the right thing. Sort out everything too big/small/never worn/just doesn’t suit and donate them to your local charity shop. Charity Shops had a distinct lack of donations in December due to the awful weather conditions, so they will be grateful for your unwanted, but good, stuff.
- Enjoy what may be the most beautiful film of 2011 (I know it’s only January) with the opening of ‘The Black Swan’. With Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis already wowing with their stunning looks on the red carpet, and costumes by Rodarte, this movie set in the world of Ballet has all the hallmarks of an instant classic. (from 21st January)
- Make a date with your television set for the premiere of HBO series Boardwalk Empire. This prohibition era series is set to be aired in the UK sometime this January. No date at time of writing, but the cast (Gretchen Mol, Kelly MacDonald, Michael Pitt), fabulous costumes, and great reviews from the US make this a must watch series.
Read ‘My Mother’s wedding dress‘ by Justine Picardie. Not a new book, but one which I read over Christmas and just loved. Interesting, touching and moving, this tells the story of the life, and afterlife of clothes.
- Watch the filming of the catwalk show for Gok’ s Fashion Fix that is being filmed in Birmingham’s Bullring shopping centre on Friday 21st January. You might be able to help decide if it is Gok’s High Street picks or Brix’s designer togs that win the catwalk battle.
- Enjoy a beauty detox courtesy of Bobby Brown. To celebrate the launch of Bobby Brown’s pretty powerful collection, Selfridges will be holding a Bobby Brown detox event from the 3rd to the 29th January. See the Selfridges website for more details.
- If you are lucky enough to be in Paris this January, you must take a look at the Chanel advert that is currently spanning the length of the Musee D’Orsay. The giant Chanel No 5 bottle, made from gold sequins, looks absolutely stunning.
- Enjoy your January, it’s really not such a bad month when you look at it!
- DVD: Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky (15) (independent.co.uk)
- Out of the way! Sales frenzy grips shoppers: Millions hit the high street and online spending reaches record levels (dailymail.co.uk)
- It’s so her last season – France’s style queen quits (independent.co.uk)
- Celeb Fashion Report: Stylish and Engaged! (blogs.smarter.com)
- How To Dress Like The Stars (mademan.com)
- 3rd of January – Must-Have-List (naokichanslife.wordpress.com)
- The Stylish Road to Awards Season Starts Right Here (esquire.com)
- Target Collaborates With Guilt Group, Gabourey Sidibe To Partner With Bobbi Brown (stylelist.com)
- Harpers Bazaar: Most Memorable Fashion Moments: 2010 (harpersbazaar.com)
- New York Today: Free and cheap events, January 1 2011 (nydailynews.com)