I can’t believe it’s actually December! 2010 has rushed by us and we’re almost ready to embrace 2011. But there’s still a full 31 days of frolics, festivities, fashion and fun to enjoy before the year officially ends. Here are some ideas for activities to get you busy all December long.
- Check out an Oscar winners dress. Harrods is currently hosting an exhibition of 10 dresses designed by Elie Saab. All the dresses have been worn by famous women, but the star of the show is sure to be the brown and floral gown worn by Halle Berry when she won her Academy Award for ‘Monsters Ball’. So, go see it in the flesh. (Until 21st December – Harrods).
- Don your best alpine knitwear and earmuffs and enjoy a twirl on the ice. Most major cities have set up outdoor ice skating rinks for the festive season, including the famous one at Somerset House. Alternately, you could visit the Snowdome in Tamworth for snowboarding and skiing.
- Get some last-minute gifts from a Christmas market. There’s Nottingham’s famous ‘Goose Fair‘, Lincoln’s christmas market in the castle grounds, York’s market, Birmingham’s German Christmas market …the list is endless. You can pick up an unusual Christmas gift whilst enjoying hot turkey sandwiches and a hot toddy. What could be better?
- Check out a fashion exhibition. Dior illustrator Rene Grau is celebrated at Somerset House in the exhibition ‘Rene Grau and the line of beauty. (www.somersethouse.org.uk for details) whilst the design museum is playing host to ‘Drawing fashion’ which includes original fashion drawings from Chanel, Dior and McQueen. (Until March 2011).
- Enjoy Sex and The City 2. No, not the movie, but the follow-up to the first, successful Sex in the City night held in Cannock to raise funds for Children’s Charity Newlife. Sex in the City 2 takes place in the Bank bar, Cannock on Wednesday 8th December from 7pm. There will be half price cocktails, and cosmetics and fragrances from Vera Wang and D&G, as well as a range of dresses, shoes and bags on sale for bargainous prices.
- Hit the Clothes Show live. This is in Birmingham from 3rd to 8th December at the LG Arena (formally the NEC). Over the weekend Gok Wan will be on hand offering fashion tips galore.
- Enjoy a Christmas classic on the big screen! The ‘Electric Cinema’ are showing ‘White Christmas’ and ‘It’s a wonderful life’ over the festive season, with ticket prices starting at just £6.50. This would be sure to leave you with that warm festive glow and put you in a real Christmas mood.
- Go and see possibly the campest Christmas movie release ‘Burlesque’ starring Christina Aguilara and Cher. Expect spangles, sparkles and sequins galore, along with a battle of the voices. (Released Nationwide 17th December).
- Choose a new fragrance for Christmas. I’ve put ‘Oriens’ by Van Cleef and Arpels at the top of my Christmas list this year, if only for the amazing bottle.
- Enjoy a shopping evening before Christmas…and then hit the sales after! River Island is hosting a shopping evening on December 2nd in association with Look magazine. Expect DJ’S, vodka cocktails and 25% discount. (selected stores only). Then…on the 26th…hit the Selfridges sale! Get there early for tremendous savings on must have ‘it’ bags and shoes.
- Enjoy the X Factor final. I predict the final three to be Matt, Rebecca and One Direction, with Matt the winner. Will I get it right?
There’s just a few suggestions for things to enjoy in Decmber…will add more ideas as I get them.
Seasons greetings to fashionista’s everywhere!
- Chippenham Candlelit Christmas Market (bpdt.wordpress.com)
- The best Christmas markets in 2010 (guardian.co.uk)
- Britons watch Xmas spending (lv.com)
- Store detectives dress as baby Jesus to catch Christmas market thieves (telegraph.co.uk)
- Twelve days of Christmas (guardian.co.uk)
- The World’s Best Christmas Markets (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Christmas markets: Let there be festive lights (independent.co.uk)
- The best ice-skating venues for Christmas 2010 (guardian.co.uk)
- London at Christmas: the perfect break (telegraph.co.uk)
- It’s time for mulled wine: Traders set out stall for Manchester’s Christmas markets (menmedia.co.uk)
- $1 Million Advent Calendar on Display at Harrods (shoppingblog.com)
- European Christmas Markets: Five Great Christmas Shopping Experiences (rock-kool-dadie.blogspot.com)