Yes I know we’re already 8 days into the Month, and that this is later than usual, but Fashion-Mommy took a break in deepest, darkest Wales and lost all internet reception (It felt like loosing a limb!). So, better late than never, here are some ideas to make the rest of the month as stylish as possible!
- Keep the Royal wedding theme going for as long as possible. Buy all the special magazines from Now, Women’s Weekly,Hello, Ok and even the good old Express and Star and enjoy an overdose of beautiful wedding pictures. Then watch the movie ‘Something borrowed’ staring the effortlessly stylish Ginnifer Goodwin and rock chick extraordinaire Kate Hudson. (From May 6th cinemas nationwide).
- Check out the V&A’s new website from May 4th – even if only to peruse the online shop! I am totally in love with this raffia Trilby with dotted design.
- Go see ‘Selected Works’ by Helmut Newton at Hamilton’s, 13 Carlos Place, London until 27th May and admire the work of a genius no longer with us.
- In a similar vein, if you are lucky enough to be in New York this month you must check out the tribute to the late Alexander McQueen in the Savage Beauty retrospective at the Met Costume Institute. Alternately, you can admire the amazing designs in the accompanying book ‘Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty’ published on 30th May, or, if you are in London, get yourself to Knightsbridge where you can admire the McQueen costumes as part of a special commemorative window display in the Harvey Nichols department store.
- Sex in the City fans rejoice as Candace Bushnell’s 2nd prequel to the much-loved tv series is published. Called ‘Summer in the City’, this follow-up to the enjoyable ‘Carrie Diaries’ joins Carrie as she arrives in New York and meets her galpals Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte. Every fashionista’s beach read this Summer.
- Enjoy the best in sixties hair with the opening of Vidal Sassoon – The movie this month. Expect to see lots of people asking about your holidays in that one!
- Go to the Whistles shopping evening at the flagship St Christopher’s Place store on 12th May from 6pm to 9pm. Meet CEO Jane Shepherdson, credited with revitalising the brand, enjoy cocktails and pampering Cowshed treatments. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book a place).
- Enter the Dolls House. This fashion/beauty experience looks set to be the fashion event of the month at The Birmingham Bullring. Expect all the hottest high street looks in a truly beautiful and theatrical setting. (May 28th and 29th – check out Browse Bullring for more details.
- Enjoy the Nars beauty event at Selfridges, Birmingham this month. To celebrate the launch of Nars Laguna, you can book a complimentary make over with one of the top make-up artists for Nars on 11 May. You can book an appointment with David Scheffen, Federico Gregorini or Jason Hoffman. These experts have worked with Vivienne Westwood and Marc Jacobs amongst many other top names in fashion. For details contact the Nars counter on 0121 600 6827.
- Treat yourself from a range of new fashion launches. The latest Gold by Giles for New Look launch is due on May 23rd, whilst New York designer Pamela Love launches her dreamcatcher designs jewellery at Topshop on May 19th. This gold metal necklace is sure to be a sell out.
There are lots more exciting things to come in May, including some special events being held by Selfridges, and the Press days for New Look and Arcadia. Fashion-Mommy will keep you posted for all these events so make sure you pop back.
Enjoy the Month of May!