The holiday season is the perfect time of year to put together your most playful, fun outfits! With an endless list of party invites, it might not seem easy to come up with options that look stylish without taking “festive” too far. But a bit of creativity is all you need for a holiday party look that’s memorable (in a good way).
To get you started, here are seven ways to keep your holiday look on-trend–without going overboard!
- Dress for the occasion, and the dress code.
Before you begin to shop for your holiday party, it’s helpful to do a little research so you know what to expect. If your party is during daytime hours with coworkers, it’s likely you’d put together a much different look than you would if you were going to a dance club with friends for New Year’s Eve.
Whether you look up the venue online or ask a friend, here are some questions to keep in mind so that you can be sure you’ll be appropriately dressed for the occasion:
- Where will the event be held?
- What time is the party?
- What type of celebration is it?
- About how many people will be there?
- Who are the hosts?
- Does the invite indicate a dress code?
- Who else will be attending the party?
Doing a quick check in advance will allow you to express your personal style with your holiday outfit while still feeling comfortable around your family, friends or coworkers.
- Build your base with seasonal colors and fabrics.
To get into the spirit, work with the holiday season instead of against it. Late autumn and early winter are all about enjoying the comfort and warmth of family and friends, so why not base your outfit around colours and fabrics that also inspire that wonderful feeling?
Choose rich colours and fabrics to make any cute holiday party dress feel both fresh and seasonally-appropriate.
Some festive fabric and colour combinations to consider for the holidays are:
- Velvet in classic black or dramatic jewel tones like ruby red, sapphire blue, amethyst purple or emerald green
- Elegant lace in sophisticated colours like blush, navy or hunter green
- Mesh fabric in dark colours like black, navy or slate gray with pops of colourful embroidery
- Flattering jersey material in elegant black, burgundy or charcoal gray
- Chunky knit sweater dresses with special details like lurex or sequins
- Find staple pieces that are both fashionable and functional.
When planning out your holiday outfits, it’s easy to forget that your fashionable pieces should also be functional, too. This is especially important when it comes to footwear. Your special occasion shoes should also be comfortable enough to walk, dance or stand in for however long the party lasts.
Here are some trendy shoe options that take comfort into consideration.
- Statement booties with a stacked heel–like styles from Steven by Steve Madden–will keep your feet warm and your back supported all night long.
- Short, block heels in a fun print will add a touch of festivity without killing the balls of your feet.
- Styled with silk separates, comfortable mules are both grown-up and playful.
- Pointed toe flats–like those from Marc Fisher shoes–are a great way to add personality while still being able to dance the night away.
- Over the knee boots provide a cozy and feminine touch to any holiday outfit.
The rule of comfort also applies to your clothing. That gorgeous dress? It shouldn’t require two layers of shapewear and double-sided tape for you to leave the house in it. Those pants? You should be able to sit and stand while wearing them. The best holiday pieces are those that look cute and feel even better!
- Draw attention to your beautiful face with a trendy, sophisticated headband.
Headbands aren’t just for school girls. In fact, they’re a really big trend right now! Available in so many styles and materials, they’re the perfect accessory to not only effortlessly mask a bad hair day, but also to make your dazzling smile stand out.
Here are some headband styles that will add some pop to your holiday look:
- A structured, padded headband in a luxe velvet fabric
- A stretchy, top knot headband in a statement pattern like leopard or snake print
- A slim tortoise shell headband for a preppy look
- A braided headband in silky material
- A thick, black headband with shimmering pearl accents
If you have a calendar full of holiday fêtes to attend, a headband lets you skip a wash and also rewear a dress or outfit without anyone noticing. That’s a real win-win!
- Add just the right amount of sparkle with unexpected details.
Fashion is so powerful because it allows you to add little touches to your outfit to make it your own–and accessories are the perfect way to let your holiday ensemble shine without taking it over the top.
Here are some unexpected accessories that can be mixed and matched for a sophisticated, sparkly look:
- Shoulder-grazing tassel earrings
- Statement booties in a fun print or pattern
- A shimmering sequin envelope clutch
- Stackable rings with richly colored gems
- A show-stopping cuff bracelet
There’s really no better time to have fun with your party look than the holiday season–but there’s a fine line between just enough and way too much. Coco Chanel is rumored to have said, “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.” Especially with sparkly accessories, this is really great advice!
- Tie your holiday look together with festive nails, makeup and hair.
Your look is more than just your outfit. Your nails, makeup and hair help tie everything together–and totally deserve the holiday treatment, too!
Here are some fun ideas for nail designs, hairstyles and makeup to elevate your look:
- Sparkle like the Times Square Ball with a glittery manicure that dazzles in dim light.
- Feel just like Cinderella at the ball in a sleek topknot with a headband.
- Spice up any holiday outfit with a bold red lip.
- Choose a neutral eyeshadow with just a hint of shimmer for an elegant touch.
- Curl your hair into loose, glossy waves for a bit of evening glamour.
- Give your look a shot of energy with an electric-hued cat eye.
Whether you go super bold or stick to something subtle, plan out the details from your head to your toes to create a cohesive look that everyone will love.
- Bring your personal style.
It’s so important to remember your holiday style is really just an extension of your everyday personal style. Your outfit should be made up of pieces that reflect who you are and what you enjoy most, so that you can be comfortable and happy in it!
It’ll be really hard to have a great time at the holiday party if you don’t feel comfortable in what you’re wearing, so choose options that you love and that, most importantly, make you feel like yourself. You’ll be creating a trendy, tasteful holiday look in no time!