Looking your best this summer isn’t just about finding the perfect dress or shorts and top combo. If you really want to turn heads, then you’re going to need to accessorise. By using the right kind of accessories, you can turn your outfit into something truly spectacular – an outfit that no one else will be wearing. These top tips will ensure you can accessorise any of your outfits for this summer season.
The Power of Three
The best way to stand out in a crowd with accessories is by working on three points of similarity. This basically means that you pick three key areas that will match. Any less than three and your outfit will look unfinished. Any more and you’ll look over the top. The three you pick should have the same colour or theme throughout. Pick from the following:
- Shoes – Your shoes should be a similar tone to the hemline of your outfit. Sandals are perfect for summer. Avoid white where possible. It always looks dirty!
- Bag – Big bags are a must-have for summer. Where else are you going to put your beach towel?! Just make sure they’re no wider than your body, from the side.
- Belt – Wide waist belts are a great way to cinch in any floaty summer tops. Just don’t wear these if you have a wide hip and full stomach.
- Scarf – A scarf, in summer?! Go for something floaty that can be worn loosely around your neck. Or even in your hair.
- Earrings – Go for earrings that complement the shape of your face. For example, those with a pointy chin should avoid earrings that have a sharp point.
- Necklace – Those with a long neck should wear short necklaces and chokers. Those with a short neck should wear longer necklaces. Simple!
- Bracelet – Don’t fill your arm with bangles, it’s never a good look. Less is more when it comes to bracelets.
Remember, you only need to pick three and they must match in either theme or colour.
Experiment With Colour
If you’re the kind of person who likes to stick to neutral colours in their wardrobe, then accessorising is the perfect way to make an outfit pop. If you go for pastels and creams in the summer, then break it up with some rose gold accessories. If you prefer darker colours, then go for something vibrant to accessorise. Wear a plain outfit into a store and play around with all the different coloured belts, bags and shoes. Reds, yellows, blues and silvers are some of the must-wear colours for this season.
It’s a good idea to make sure you can get some practical use out of your accessories this summer. A bag big enough to carry all of your essentials is a prime example. Using one of the Shinola watches for women in place of a bracelet, is another good idea. You’re still accessorising, but you’re getting some kind of use out of the items too. This will save you from over-accessorising when you realise you still need to find a bag that matches or a watch that fits in.
Finally, a real fashion must-have for summer. Not everyone knows which glasses suit them, however. It’s quite simple once you know the rules. Essentially, you should go for sunglasses that are the opposite shape to your face. If you have a round face then opt for square frames. And vice versa. You also want to make sure the top frame of your sunglasses follows the natural shape of your eyebrows. You don’t want your perfectly arched brows peeping from above a straight-lined frame.
You now have the ultimate guide to accessorising your outfits this summer. Turn those simple wardrobe staples into catwalk creations, with just a few tweaks here and there.